Sunday, October 21, 2012

Lalaloopsy Costume Tutorial

We finished Sienna's Lalaloopsy costume!
Everything came together really easily...except for the wig!  
The wig was quite a pain, but I'll try to explain how I did it!

lalaloopsy costume

 1. the wig:  Here are a couple tutorials that didn't work out for me, but look great and might work for your Lalaloopsy costume.  Peanut Big Top has pig tails, which made it a bit more difficult. I'll try to explain how I did mine, which isn't very difficult or time consuming.

I started out my wig using the Easy Raggedy Yarn Wig Tutorial (which will show you how to cut the yarn and tie the sections together), but ended up doing something different.  I wrapped a bunch of yarn around a piece of cardboard to get the desired length.  I cut enough to gather 5 groups of yarn.  Then, tied each group of yarn together with another piece of yarn off-centered, like where the part in the hair would be.   Peanut Big Top has a side part.  Next, I hot glued the yarn, while twisting, to a knit beanie, but later cut it out.  If I were to do it again, I would glue down to a piece of purple felt (the color of the yarn hair) and cut out.  Then, I just gathered the yarn on the sides, like pig-tails, and tied together with a piece of yarn.  To get the twisted, ringlet shapes, I just twisted and hot glued the yarn together.  I also trimmed the pigtails to make the ends even.  So, really, you just have the front part of a wig.  I hot glued red bows to each pig tail and glued the whole piece to a soft headband.  It's much more comfortable that anything else we tried and won't be too hot, like the beanie.  Plus, the beanie wouldn't stay on her head!  Oh...and everything else we made looked so bulky!  This was definitely a test of my patience!  But, we have something useable, and it's pretty cute...especially with the rest of the outfit.


lalaloopsy costumelalaloopsy costume
 2. the shirt: I used a shirt we already had and used a pencil eraser dipped in red fabric paint to make the polka dots.
lalaloopsy costume
3. the gloves: We bought these on eBay.
4. the tutu: I used this tutorial with gold organza.

lalaloopsy costume
5. the tights: I bought striped tights and painted a heart on one of the legs with red fabric paint. I made a heart stencil by cutting the shape out of masking tape.
6. the boots: They are just pink Crocs boots I found on eBay.

lalaloopsy costumelalaloopsy costume

Anyway...
It's a semi-handmade costume...my favorite kind!
Oh, and we painted her face to look like Peanut Big Top too!

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have!

No comments: